Arctic Together Nuna Zine
“Nuna is land; Nunaat is homeland.” - Eben Nanauq Hopson (Iñupiaq), founder of the North Slope Borough, founder of the Inuit Circumpolar Conference
The Arctic Together "Nuna Zine" features stories from and beyond the Navigating the New Arctic (NNA) community to strengthen communication, improve research dissemination efforts, and expand community knowledge exchanges and interest through a biannual magazine-style publication of information, events and resources, personal essays, or narratives that feature research, stories, cultural influence, and impact. Printed copies of the Nuna Zine are circulated to Alaska Native Village Council offices and schools.
Target Audience: Indigenous community members, Tribal administrators and practitioners, youth, Elders, NNA community
- Issue 1 (Spring 2023)
Guidelines for Submission
The NNA-CO will share a Call for Contributions with specific topics, focused themes and deadlines for submission. Here are some helpful questions that could help shape writing submissions:
- How specifically will this story idea help our readers become more informed? What takeaway will it provide?
- Why is this particular idea timely or relevant? Do you have specific calls to action?
- Why are you the perfect person to write this piece? How does this impact your own views on the subject matter and dissemination approaches?
- What kind of sidebars, photos, graphics or other creative elements can you include to make your idea more multifaceted?
- Utilize 12 pt font
- Length ~250-500 words
- Provide high resolution, quality photos
- Ensure hyperlinks are correct
- We welcome creative submissions i.e. poetry, recipes, photoscapes, drawing, infographics, visual art, links to videos, blogs, podcasts or other forms of science communication
Please note that submissions may have to be edited for clarity, formatting and/or length. If you wish to request printed copies, or need further clarification on a topic or proofreading, feel free to reach out to James Temte at firstname.lastname@example.org.